Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Kabir: Poetry and Rapture 



This was one of those days--when the unexpected happens, when something arises that you had in no way anticipated, when the leopard seizes you by the throat and you become the victim of delight.

Here is how it happened.

I live alone and have no job responsibilities so I can choose what to do first in my day.  Should I go immediately to my spiritual practice (standing slow movement and stretches to move the energies, these followed by prayers for friends and the world), get ready for the day's activities, check my e-mail to see what is urgent, eat breakfast and then go for a walk?

Today I went first to my computer to check my e-mail and there found a lovely poem by Kabir.  This inspired me to write a "response" poem, modeled somewhat after his.  Then I wrote another little poem in the same vein, and also looked up some more of Kabir in my books.

After all this, I decided to offer a short prayer for a friend in need, and it was than that the unexpected occcurred.  Still sitting at my computer, I noticed that when I moved my hands slightly (they were folded in prayer position), I could feel small energetic movements within.  I continued to move my hands (still folded) back and forth, and again the energies moved in what I call a "sweet softness."  For me, it was important to find that I could still feel this delicate bliss flow in a sitting, rather than a standing position--and I was comforted to know that all who sit can access these energies.

Then I decided to rise and continue my movements--now I opened my palms and with palms facing inward began my familiar circling movements up and down my body.  All of this was done without touching--indeed, I think of a car wash I used to pass in San Francisco, called "The Touchless Car Wash."  So I call my responses "Touchless Rapture."  Indeed, what was coming in this standing position was indeed rapture--from root to belly to chest to face to scalp. I tried moving my arms and hands behind my lower back as much as possible (an experiment), and felt it there too.  When I directed my thoughts downward, I even felt something in my feet and lower legs, a rare response for me.

Again, for me each of these occasions of bliss is a highly sacred experience, a time of feeling one with the Beloved Within.  This is the divine connection--for a few minutes we know how the "Divine Human" will exist in the world, in a state of constant, flowing love with what is within and all that is without.  Each transcendent moment is a blessing, a gift from the unseen.  And each is further preparation for the time when all of us, alone and together, will enter this state of divine rapture, by then established as the "natural" and defining element of our consciousness.

All this lasted some 20 minutes or so, when I decided I did indeed need to get ready to face the day.  Once I left this meditative state, the feelings disappeared (as usual), and I was again in "normal" consciousness.

(I write up some of these experiential entries because, for one thing, I like to keep a personal log and also because it is interesting to follow how Kundalini can operate in one's body after many years of practice and when one is an advanced elder (now 86).  Before today, I had not fully realized how the energies can play a major role in the practice of sacred poetry, as writer or reader.  Indeed, the word can embody and reflect the Spirit, and become a source of inner shaktipat!)

Dorothy Walters
October 25, 2014



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?