Kundalini Splendor

Kundalini Splendor <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 18, 2015

Sanskrit and the Human Energy System (Vyaas Houston) and commentary 



Sanskrit and the Human Energy System

by Vyaas Houston

 "Learning the Sutras in English could be compared to scientists using words rather than numerical equations to solve their problems. Not only does Sanskrit offer a precise technical vocabulary, but it is a completely fluid language consisting of
vibrational harmonies, perfectly designed to bring the human energy system into phase with the subtlest matrix of creation. Since the Sutras are nothing more than word equations, the most rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit suffices. The first step is to learn some basic Sanskrit, especially the pronunciation of its sounds. This is relatively easy, because the sounds of Sanskrit are based on being the purest, and most resonant the human vocal instrument is able to produce. . ."

(from Sanskrit and the Yoga Sutras (Sanskrit and the Certainty of Freedom) from the website of the American Sanskrit Institute: www.americansanskrit.com/ )

My Response


Vyaas Houston is one of the premier scholars of yoga and the Sanskrit language alive today.  He has created a major method for learning the language of Sanskrit in its written and spoken form.  He is certain that a knowledge of this sacred language is essential to experience the full impact of the ancient scriptures written in this language.


I must confess that several years ago I attempted to learn the visual form of Sanskrit, but was basically unsuccessful.  The images seemed unfamiliar to me, as if they had never in some past life been part of my knowledge system.


However, my contact with oral sanskrit was totally different.  The first time I heard these sacred syllables spoken aloud (in a devotional workshop years ago), I was so filled with rapture I thought I was going to fall out of my chair onto the floor. Each sound sent waves of intense bliss throughout my system.  I was in such a trancelike state, that I assumed that the mere sounding of these words would automatically produce bliss in any listener, no matter the singer.


Subsequently, I experienced other spells of rapture from hearing sanskrit sung or spoken, often in kirtan or CD's of Vyaas Houston and others.  I once listened to his transcendent recitation of the Gyatri Mantra as my primary practice for several months, and each time was an ecstatic experience.  Occasionally, I listened to kirtan from inexperienced reciters and I was surprised that no shakti was present.  Apparently the magic depends in part on the source and the setting (which could well be one's own living room.)


I have often wondered why my response was so different to the written and spoken forms of the language.  My guess is that in a past life I was exposed to Sanskrit as a spoken or sung language, not as written script.  I responded to it then (as now) as vibration that permeates the body and awakens profound rapture, as it is intended to do.  In other words, I could not read in that life time, but  heard the sounds through kirtan or recitation. 


In any event, I love the sounds of Sanskrit(even when I have no idea of the meaning) but do not resonate in the least with the written form.


The sweet inner vibrations produced by Sanskrit do indeed awaken the Kundalini within.  Those who are awakened to and connected with Kundalini as bliss will, I think, most likely respond to these as blissful sensation, for the frequencies of Sanskrit are designed to do just that.  The body thus becomes a sounding board, resonating with each note and syllable as ineffable rapture.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?